How to Saddle a Horse?
1) Brush horse’s back and girth area carefully, remove dirt and grime.
2) Check for sores or wounds, don’t place saddle over a wound.
3) Place saddle blanket on horse’s back with fold to the front, positioning over withers and sliding back into place, making sure blanket is even on both sides of the horse.
4) Place saddle gently on horse’s back with stirrup’s and cinch over saddle, lifting saddle high enough that it doesn’t hit horse or knock saddle blanket off. Place saddle slightly forward and settle back.
5) Take stirrups down and check that blanket is not wrinkled underneath.
6) Buckle cinch. Tighten gently in small increments. Always check cinch after a few minutes of mounting and riding.
7) Mount the saddle and check stirrup length while horse is tied.
8) Gently place bridle on horses head. Buckle throat latch strap.
9) Add rope or saddle bags to saddle.
10) Go Ride!
Saddle up with Running Horse Realty – Run with the Best!
The Land Man Team
July 8, 2013